Saturday, September 22, 2012

Wine With the Count

Day 6 - Sete, France

     We woke this morning to an industrial fishing port - Sete.  I had a much different idea of France in my mind, but once we were on our bus and off for the days' excursion, I began to appreciate the beautiful countryside.  Our destination was Montpelier, a medieval city to which I still have found no explanation or real significance, except that it was pretty.  The tour started off with Michael stepping in a big pile of dog crap and the whole group having a good chuckle over it.  Even funnier, as the morning went on, more and more of our group found piles of their own.  Talk about an ice-breaker! It was ironic that the town had severe public smoking restrictions, however, pet owners were not compelled to clean up after their dogs!


     The tour was a bit snoozy but we finally had a chance to just sit, have an espresso, and soak in our surroundings in the Place de la Comedie, Montpelier's central square.  It was nice to enjoy the sunshine and watch the people.  Their public transit made me envious . . . this looks like something I would design!


     After our quick stop in Montpelier, we took a short drive up into the hills to the beautiful Flaugergues Castle, a vineyard owned and operated by the same family for ten generations.  We were greeted by "The Count," Monsieur de Colbert where he welcomed us into his beautiful estate.


     The whole day turned around for me at this point when I entered this peaceful garden and walked through the doors of this castle.  The count gave us an in-depth tour of his home and gardens and told us of his family's history and the treasures they amassed over the past, including this Limoge china, hand-painted specifically for their family. By the way, each place setting was a different bird.


     We left the castle and walked through a massive bamboo grove into his extensive gardens where he had assorted trees and plants he collected from all over the world.  It was so beautiful and lush.  Don't I look like I just belong here??


     From the gardens, we entered his tasting room where he presented his prized wines and told us about the vintages and as we tasted, he quizzed us on the bouquet, color, etc.  I have an unsophisticated palate when it comes to wine, but the whole process was immensely interesting.  I admit, however, that I never could taste the "smokey, oaky, woodsy, current, berry" flavors that everyone else talked about.  I'm not sure they really did either!  I also nearly sloshed my wine over the rim as we twirled our red to aerate it.  In any event, the Count was lovely and gracious and of course we had to buy a few bottles!  He and his wife were an adorable couple and I felt sure that he would ask me back to stay sometime at the castle.  I haven't heard back from him yet!




     Another highlight of our day was meeting another great couple - Jackie and Gary from New Yawk (or New Joisy).  Shout out here to Jackie and Gary!  Michael and I had seen them on the ship a few times and were happy to see them on our excursion - they seemed close to our age and a lot of fun.  We were right!  Yay, we now have two sets of friends on the ship!

     All in all, it was a wonderful day - my first one ever in France!  Viva la France!

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading about your adventures with The Count. So glad that you have found Cruise Buddies.

    ReplyDelete