Saturday, September 8, 2012

Montserrat!

 Barcelona - Day 2

  I waited until we got on board our ship to work on the blog because of the dang slow internet in Barcelona.  Guess I wasn't thinking about that fact that a "Satellite" internet connection on board is even slower than dial up.  I feel like there must be some poor little guy down in the hull somewhere tapping on a telegraph machine to send email messages.  So, I don't know how far I will get or how often, but I'll just be sending short messages from this point on.  Actually you are all probably pretty relieved about that because, well, admit it.  No one likes to look at other people's vacation pictures.  Except me.  I love it!

     Also I accidentally hit a button on my fancy new camera so there aren't many pictures that are in focus so I'll spare you those.  Lucky you!

     After an insane day of walking the city yesterday, we decided to head into the hills to a place my friend Rita recommended.  We found the perfect guide, "Jordi," who is from that area and knows it well.  Shout out here to Jordi who is now reading my blog!  Hola Jordi!




     The hills are actually a massive rock outcropping called Montserrat, which means "serrated" mountain in Catalon.  Make no mistake, there is a huge difference between Catalon and spanish and they are quick to remind you at every opportunity.



      Isn't it amazing?  We stopped in a little village called Minostrol at the foot of the mountains to have an espresso and soak in the view.  I can't imagine living there - what a peaceful place.  Do you see the single rock just right of the middle standing there?  Here is a better view below. . .



      It's called, "The Finger."  Are you starting to see a recurring theme with my photographs?  Kinda remind you of that artsy water company building yesterday?????  Anyhoo, Jordi is a mountain climber and has scaled Montserrat many times.  Thank goodness I had the wrong shoes on yesterday (even though they were very cute) - otherwise, I believe Jordi would have had me harnessed up and climbing that finger!  WAIT - that came out all wrong, but you know what I mean.

     Okay, enough of that nonsense - the most amazing thing about this area, besides "the finger" is the beautiful benedictine monastery built into the side of the mountain.  We drove a winding switchback road up and up and up and finally came to this beautiful, peaceful spot . . .



     In this monastery is the "Black Madonna," which as legend says appeared to shepherds in the caves of Montserrat.  She is the Patron Saint of Barcelona and pilgrims come from all over to rub their hand on the "earth" which she holds and pray for her intercessions and grace.  I had to download this pictures because of course, with a relic so important as this, my camera failed!



     There is also a special treat in Montserrat.  Everyday, at 1:00pm, a boys choir sings.  They are boys who are boarded and schooled there and their voices are angelic. They range in age from 6 years to 14.

     We loved Montserrat - you could actually stay in the monastery and eat with monks if you had time - maybe a trip I will come back and do one day.



     From Montserrat, we traveled to the village of San Cristofol, Jordi's home town.  We walked the dirt roads and picked figs from trees and grapes from vines and strolled meeting all of his lovely neighbors.  I think we were a bit of a novelty in that town of 200 but we had a grand time.  Next we wnet to lunch at Can Font in the neighboring village of Marganella where I had my first true spanish Paella.  I was not disappointed!




     Do you know what these are?




     Yes, class.  Very good.  They are champagne bottles - except in Barcelona, champagne is called Cava.  And if you add a winery plus my husband, that equals BIG TROUBLE.  Fortunately, this vintner did not ship to the US, so we got off with only purchasing one bottle!  Last time we were in Italy, 8 cases of wine arrived at my door about 3 weeks later!  I had to give Jordi a hard time over that pit stop.



     We ended the day with a drive to the picturesque seaside town of Sitges.  We had time for just a quick stroll down the beach and through the city square.  I had to look very closely at everyone in this picture to make sure there weren't any nudies!



And here is a mermaid "Voguing" Madonna Style!  All in all - it was a great day in Spain - the experiences diverse and the sights were bountiful! My high school/college spanish is flooding back and I am enjoying the Spainiards laughing at me massacre their language.  They are so patient and kind and very quick to correct you.  Well, Beunos Noches everyone - early wake up call in the morning!


5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos! It looks so beautiful. Loved the update! Adorable shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved the monestary and Black Madonna at Montserrat...will never forget those switchbacks on our journey up the mountain! And that was back in 1983! Your blog post brought back so many memories...Keep enjoying the adventures...hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorraine...having made this trip last summer...I am LOVING your posts. Barcelona is, quite literally, on the top 5 most favorite places in the world for me (and I've traveled a lot!)...enjoy and savor. I felt the same as you (when I read your words) when I was there. Keep blogging!
    --Laine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really enjoying seeing everywhere seeing where you've been and hopefully you will get some faster internet so I can see where you're going. I want to see all the photos I can!!! Keep 'em coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep Blogging!!! I am living vicariously!! It's so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete