Tuesday, September 4, 2012

This Doesn't Suck

     We arrived safely in Barcelona after a very long trip.  I thought I would never get out of the door with all of the checklists and anxiety over leaving.  I was very excited and feeling slightly guilty for feeling that way, but I decided to cut those apron strings and push through!

THIS DOESN'T SUCK:


     Once we arrived in Barcelona, we made our way to the hotel with every intention of getting out right away to see some sights, but our traveling and the time difference got the best of us and we stayed in and tried to go to bed so our bodies could adjust to the local time.

     I had to text my kids of course - only God knows how much my cell phone is going to be this month!  My daughter was not feeling well, so my "mom antennae" instantly went up and I struggled for over an hour to figure out the daggone internet (remember, I am technologically challenged).  Once I got it working, my Google page was all in German.  That was really baffling since I was actually in Spain but I eventually figured that out and downloaded Skype so I could see my daughter on the screen.  Once we connected, it was reassuring to see her cuddled up in her nightgown with her Lorax stuffed animal just wanted to talk to "mom."  Did I mention she is 21 years old???  It was a reassuring feeling to know I was still needed!  My son and I never connected, but I will catch him tomorrow!

     We got out early this morning with a private guide and I couldn't believe how beautiful the city was! I really didn't know what to expect as I had very little time to research before we left.  I was struck by the graceful, curving, organic architecture of Antonio Gaudi.  In this one city alone, you can see 2000 years of architectural influence.  The ancient is mixed with the contemporary and somehow it all seems to work.  I am sure that pictures could never accurately show the true beauty of this city. Our adventures today were many and I promise to post news and pictures, but tomorrow I have a 6:00am wake-up call so I can spend the day in the mountains!

     I will leave you with a few shots of our hotel and view - and I will tell you again . . . THIS DOESN'T SUCK!








2 comments:

  1. What a great start! Loved reading about your adventure! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - Sounds just amazing! I am so happy for you! xo

    ReplyDelete