Friday, August 17, 2012

How Do I Do This Thing???

     The countdown has begun...in exactly 3 days, I will officially become an "empty nester."  God how I hated those words in the past; associating them with old age, loneliness, boredom and uselessness.  And here I am, about to embark on this journey--kicking and screaming the whole way and grabbing on to anything I can find that is stationery to keep me in the place where I am comfortable and safe.

     At the risk of sounding cliche, I have been a mother for 21 years.  Overnight, that role will change when I move from "participant" to "observer" in my children's lives.  Yes, I know what you're thinking . . . I realize I am not the first person to go through this.  But I  feel like the first person.  Just as I had no idea what to do with that first little baby I brought home from the hospital 21 years ago, I have absolutely no clue about how to function in this new role being imposed on me.  Funny how I've come full circle.  I remember looking at my babies and thinking, "oh my gosh, I don't have freedom anymore!" And now those words are haunting me--I have my freedom.  But I don't want it yet--I still want to be needed.  Don't I have to get up tomorrow and pack a lunch or have a conference with a teacher?  Do the kids' need a ride to practice and did I schedule those dentist appointments?  But what about my son's haircuts?  How is he going to manage that laundry and will my daughter be able to juggle her bills and her love life?

     HOLD ON JUST A MINUTE!  When did I become REDUNDANT?

     Okay, okay I hear what everyone keeps telling me.  They say, "you are going to love your empty nest, and now you can travel and paint and do everything you've always wanted to do."  I admit it all sounds intriguing, and yet so foreign to me.  All those things I thought I always wanted to do have shifted to a distant compartment in my brain and what I really want to be doing is to still sit around my family dinner table and share the highs and lows of everyone's days.  I want to hug them each morning as they head off for school and to kiss them each night when they shuffle off to bed.  The thought of losing all of that to a dutiful weekly phone call and occasional visit sounds like a locked cage instead of a cozy nest.

     But hey, being a "glass half full" kind of girl, I've had my five minute pity party and now it's time to move on and try my best to embrace this new lifestyle.  And I'll just hope that all the other stuff people tell me about empty nesting is true; that my kids will spread those wings but always come home and how I'm going to be busier than I ever have been.  Well, that's to be determined but I don't see that I have any other choice.

     On Monday as my poor baby bird is trying to leap from the nest while I clutch him as tightly as I can - I will eventually release him, shed a tear (mostly for myself) and then slap on those ruby read slippers and head off to see the Wizard on my journey to distant and unknown territory.  So if you see "Surrender Dorothy" written in the sky somewhere, you'll know I've gotten myself into trouble.  Either that, or I'm on a beach somewhere hanging out with the flying monkeys.

Stay tuned . . .

6 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled to go on this journey with you via blogland. While major transitions are well - major- the other side offers a chance to make choices about what you will keep in your life and what you will discard. We are handed the opportunity to redecorate, redefine and refine our lives. That is an exciting prospect.

    You are never finished being mother. Never. When my 25 year old daughter needs advice for a situation that really counts, she calls me. There was a time when she wouldn't be caught dead calling her mom but now she realizes that if she needs truth and a perspective of experience she will get it from Mom. Plus nobody knows her better - nobody!!

    So, count on me to be here with you. I guess that makes me the Tin Man recovering his heart. Dorothy went on her journey surrounded by friends. And they conquered together.

    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I was lucky that both of my children decided to stay in Orlando for college but after reading your blog I have chosen to be your Cowardly Lion. Im not sure I would have the courage to go through what you're feeling. So even though I can't empathize I can be here for you with big furry hugs whenever you need them and if that doesn't help I make a mean margarita!

    I do however picture you Defying Gravity more then Surrendering to anything! You my dear friend will be FINE because you are a brave strong girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may take you a little time to adjust, but you will because you *are* a Brave Girl! We know Brave Girls can do anything they set their minds and hearts to. Plus, you have a whole army of people here to support you on your journey. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot give you any advice, having not been through this myself but I have "seen" you as a mother and you are awesome! You have done a fine job and your little ones are well-prepared for the world. You are now entering a different time and I pray you will find your way and love every minute of it! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Knowing we have given our children wings to fly from the nest is all we could hope for...like giving them the tool to survive...once they have them it is up to them to use them. You have done a wonderful job - !

    ReplyDelete